What You Need
6 large eggs
2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
Salt and pepper
Paprika, for garnishing
Minced parsley or other fresh herbs, for garnishing
Saucepan with lid
Bowl with ice water
Sealable plastic bag (like Ziploc) or piping bag with a round tip
1. Hard-boil the eggs: Place the eggs in a saucepan and fill with enough cool water to cover the eggs by an inch or two. Place the pan over high heat. Once the water reaches a boil, remove the pan from heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. → For more detail on cooking eggs, see How to Boil Eggs Perfectly Every Time.
2. Peel the eggs: Tap the eggs gently agains the counter to crack the shell in a few places, then submerge in ice water for at least 1 minute. Peel the eggs.
3. Slice the eggs in half: Slice the eggs down their length, from tip to bottom.
4. Remove the yolks: Gently squeeze the eggs to separate the yolks from the whites and use your fingers to remove the yolks. Transfer all the yolks to a mixing bowl. Arrange the empty whites on a platter, cut-side up.
5. Mash the yolks with a fork: Mash the yolks with a fork until they are completely crumbled.
6. Mix in the mayonnaise and mustard: Measure 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise and the mustard into the bowl with the yolks. Mix and mash the filling until you form a smooth paste. If the filling feels too stiff, add more mayonnaise a small spoonful at a time.
7. Season with salt and pepper: Season to taste with salt and plenty of pepper.
8.Transfer the filling to a plastic bag or piping bag: Use a spatula to scoop all the filling into a plastic bag or piping bag. Press the bag with your hands to push all the filling to one corner and press any air out of the top. If using a plastic bag, snip one corner off with a pair of scissors.
9. Pipe the filling into the egg whites: Pipe the filling into the cup of each egg white, filling the cups so that the filling mounds a little over the top. Squeeze the bag from the top to force the filling downward. Alternatively, scoop the filling into the egg whites with a spoon.
10. Sprinkle with paprika and fresh herbs to serve: Sprinkle a pinch of paprika and a pinch of fresh herbs over the top of each egg before serving.